Wednesday, May 9, 2012
Young Asian Canadians are invited to apply for this program for aspiring filmmakers. The workshop is for those with little to no filmmaking experience, between the ages of 16 and 24, and live in the Greater Toronto Area (applicants under age 18 require parental consent).
Selected participants for The Summer Video Production Workshop will have their sessions during this July and August with experienced professionals in filmmaking. The program will help you make your own video of up to 8 minutes in length, including production costs. The finished films will premiere at the Reel Asian festival in November.
The application deadline is June 5, 2012 at 5pm.
Summer Video Production Workshop
The Toronto Reel Asian International Film Festival’s inaugural YOUTH SUMMER VIDEO PRODUCTION WORKSHOP will provide young Asian Canadians with a keen interest in film the necessary skills to express themselves as artists, learn from professionals in the field, and to produce a distinctly Asian Canadian story.
Youth participants, who may otherwise not be have the opportunity to engage in filmmaking, will be provided the means for producing their own 8-minute (maximum), Asian Canadian video in any genre (fiction, documentary, experimental). Each work will be produced with fellow workshop participants and within the community. The entire video collection will receive a worldwide premiere at the 16th Annual Toronto Reel Asian International Film Festival in November 2012 and may be considered for additional national and international screenings.
• There is no fee required to apply to the workshop program
• Basic production costs will be provided during the sessions
• Workshop will be conducted in downtown Toronto between late-June and August 2012 (approximately 10 workshop dates, excluding Orientation and Final sessions)
• Participants will learn the necessary skills to complete a video production successfully:
- Technical (writing, visual storytelling, image creation, and non-linear digital editing)
- Creative (critical thinking skills about filmmaking and arts practice)
- Management (team leadership, working in groups, planning for production)
• A series of Mentors and a single Project Facilitator will help refine participants’ ideas and execution
The process is intentionally multi-faceted. By encouraging new work with a uniquely Asian Canadian perspective, new media works by young filmmakers who represent the community will contribute to diverse voices and content on screen.
PROGRAMME REQUIREMENTS & OUTLINE
Applicants must be between the ages of 16 and 24*, have minimal experience but a keen interest in film- or video-making, and be of Asian heritage living in the Greater Toronto Area.
* Applicants under the age of 18 will be required to submit parental consent
Applicants must be able to commit to the following meetings and workshops in downtown Toronto. Participants are expected to commit additional time as needed, outside of workshop hours, to develop and plan their project.
Thursday, June 28
All times 10am to 2pm
Tuesday, July 3 & Thursday, July 5
Tuesday, July 10 & Thursday, July 12
Tuesday, July 17
Tuesday, July 24
Tuesday, July 31
Tuesday, August 7 & Thurs, August 9
Tuesday, August 14
Final Wrap-Up Session
Tuesday, August 21
Worldwide Film Festival Premiere
16th Annual Toronto Reel Asian International Film Festival – Nov 6-11 (screening date TBA)
Please attach a 1-2 page proposal outlining:
• A potential idea for a short, 8-minute video that you want to make. What is it about? What subject matters interest you? Any areas of research that you will need to conduct? Are there any specific technical areas that you want to focus on? (100-200 words)
• Accompanying images, scripts, drawings and storyboards are encouraged, but not required
• Please tell us about yourself in a brief bio (100-200 word maximum)
4. SUBMISSION Deadline
Download and fill out the application form below before Tuesday, June 5, 2012 – 5pm
Email application to: firstname.lastname@example.org (Subject: Youth Summer Video Production Workshop) or mail to:
Youth Summer Video Production Workshop
ATTN: Arthur Yeung
Toronto Reel Asian International Film Festival
401 Richmond St West, Suite 309
Toronto, ON M5V 3A8
Download the Reel Asian Youth Summer Video Production Workshop 2012 Application Form
For more information, please contact Arthur Yeung, Education Coordinator: