Saturday, April 14, 2012
FESTIVAL MMM - MUSIQUES DU MONDE À MONTRÉAL
From SATURDAY APRIL 14, 2012 to SATURDAY APRIL 21, 2012
Musique Multi-Montréal officially launches the 22nd edition of its MMM Festival dedicated to World Music in all its forms. This year, it is orchestrated by the artistic directors duet Guilaine Royer and Moïse Matey and inspired by new creative energy and fresh visual language. The 2012 edition offers a bold program designed to bring World Music and Jazz together, showcasing more than 70 local, national and international artists.
A very important indoor world music festival in Canada For 22 years now, Multi-Montreal Music (MMM) has promoted diversity in culture. Each year, the organization produces a festival entirely dedicated to World Music, whose mission is to introduce artists from everywhere, of all origins, so as to bring cultures together and communicate through music. The MMM Festival is proud to work actively to provide a space for established and emerging artists as well as professionals and the public so that together, we can expand the limits of the world we live in.
The MMM Festival Headquarter: the Plaza Saint-Hubert (Théâtre Plaza, Le Petit Medley, Gainzbar, CFC)
• The Festival will take over Théâtre Plaza with four original "Grands" Concerts showcasing local and international artists and presenting the best trends in World Music – Jazz encounter.
• The bar Le Petit Medley will host Rising Stars, with the launching of Rômmel Ribeiro's new album (April 16) and the performance of the astonishing Toronto-based band, The Battle of Santiago (April 20) and their Afro-Cuban-post-rock.
• Right across, April 15 – 18, Gainzbar will host the World Jazz Happy Hour (6@8) concerts, with the best Montreal-based artists whose free-spirited music mediates between blue note and World Music (Sylvain Ransy Trio, Nathalie Cora & Diely Mori Tounkara, Harold Faustin Trio).
• Finally, DJs Sugarface Nene and MeloDan will set the CFC on fire during the very festive MMM Night (April 21).
The "Grands" Concerts at Théâtre Plaza (April 14, 19, 20, 21)
In 2012, the MMM Festival honours Montreal, the "city of Creativity", a place of hybrid culture whose main theme is a unique mixing of World Music and its direct offspring, Jazz.
• The journey will begin with the best traditional music on the scene, Nicolas Pellerin & Les grands Hurleurs (winner of the Félix prize for best traditional album 2010), MAZ (nominated at the Juno Awards 2012 for best instrumental album) and guest balafon player, Adama Daou (April 14).
• The Kora Jazz Trio (Senegal/France) will visit from Paris with a mix of West-African music and jazz. The world-renowned trio reminds us that Jazz is a child of African music (April 19).
• April 20, Théâtre Plaza will host Togolese Miles Davis, Elias K. Damawou, recipient of the 2012 Unesco-Aschberg bursary, in creation residency for three months at Musique Multi-Montréal.
• April 21, for the closing show, Saxophone players Mehdi Nabti and Damian Nisenson will both perform with their respective band, Nass Lounassa and Nozen, featuring their guests Irem Bekter and Michelle Heisler, for brand new creations and encounters.
The MMM Feast at Bistro Tributerre (April 18)
This feast is a treat of sound and taste. It is a musical encounter between new talents who recently moved to Montreal (drummer Lionel Kizaba, pianist Javier Asencio and percussionist Adama Daou) and artists featured in the Festival. We want to welcome new talents, be together and create, in the spirit of the MMM Festival and the city of Montreal.