The competition is for screenwriters with feature-length screenplays to participate in their Fall Screenwriting Workshop in Vancouver, B.C. They will select eight applicants to work with an advisor to develop further develop the script. Aside from the application cost, there is no charge for the program.
Writers who complete the Fall Screenwriting workshops are given an invitation-only opportunity to apply for our Summer Readings, an annual event where their new screenplay drafts are professionally cast for table readings.
The program is open to all Canadian citizens or landed immigrants. Some out-of-town participants may be able to have their transportation and accomodation expenses partially covered.
The deadline for applications is June 22, 2012.
Feature Film Screenplay Competition
Each year, Praxis holds a national call for entries seeking new screenplays by Canadian writers. Following careful jury selection, approximately eight entrants are invited to our Fall Screenwriting Workshop in Vancouver, B.C.
During the Fall Workshop, each selected script is carefully matched with an "advisor" (veteran screenwriter or story editor), in consultation with the writer. The advisors and writers meet in Vancouver for three days over a one week period. During this time they work together intensively, analyzing the writer's intentions, rewriting, rethinking, and charting a course for further development. The writer should leave these private meetings with a clear plan of how to proceed through the next draft. If others are involved with the project (producer, director or co-writers), they are invited to participate as well.
Writers who complete our Fall Screenwriting workshops are given an invitation-only opportunity to apply for our Summer Readings, an annual event where their new screenplay drafts are professionally cast for table readings.
During the Fall and Summer workshops we may schedule additional group sessions with producers and development personnel to help address practical concerns necessary to move the project toward production.
Over thirty Praxis scripts have been produced – most recently Jacob Tierney’s The Trotsky. Our Advisors include numerous highly accomplished screenwriters and story editors.
Deadline for application - FALL 2012 FEATURE FILM WORKSHOP: June 22, 2012 (postmark date)
HOW TO APPLY
- Three bound copies of a completed first draft of a feature film script. (These must be three-hole punched with brads, and your name and address removed).
- Information regarding all relevant rights and option agreements if the script is not based on original material.
- A non-refundable application fee of $45.00 enclosed for each title.
- A completed application form with all relevant support material, a resume, and/or biographical information.
- A PDF version of the script should also be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by midnight on the deadline, with the subject line clearly indicating the name of the writer and title of the script.
Praxis Centre for Screenwriters
Suite 3305, 149 W. Hastings St.
Vancouver, BC V6B 1H4
- Praxis will email notification of results to all those who submit.
- Due to the number of screenplays we receive, we regret that we cannot provide any feedback on an individual submission.
- Treatments will not be considered
- As of 2011, we will no longer be able to return submitted screenplays to writers after the competition. All entries will be professionally recycled.
FEES AND QUALIFICATIONS
Feature film screenplays in all genres can be submitted to the competition. Each writer remains anonymous to the jury until a short list has been identified.
In order to attract the best scripts in the country, we cover all workshop costs. There are no fees for the workshop except an application fee of $45; in some instances, out-of-town participants' transportation and accommodation expenses are partiallycovered. Writers must be Canadian citizens or Landed Immigrants. All rights remain with the writer. Praxis has no proprietary interest in any of the projects.