Monday, November 5, 2012
Festival dramaturges are Stephen Colella (company Dramaturge at YPT) and Erica Kopyto (company Dramaturge for Nightwood Theatre).
Alameda Theatre Company invites submissions from established and emerging playwrights for our Annual playwright's festival and unit. Currently we are seeking submissions for the 2013 DE COLORES FESTIVAL OF NEW WORKS.
Scripts selected for the 2013 De Colores Festival of New Works will receive dramaturgical support and a closed workshop period that will culminate in a staged reading in October 2013. Work in the festival will automatically be short-listed for production in our upcoming seasons.
Deadline for submissions: November 15, 2012.
Selected playwrights will be contacted in early 2013.
1. Scripts must be, original, un-produced works. They can be full length plays (120 minutes +), works-in-progress or ideas. Projects that are not yet realized must be accompanied by writing samples (max. 20 pages).
2. Playwrights must be citizens or permanent residents of Canada.
3. We will NOT accept more than one submission per playwright.
4. All themes are encouraged. Plays need not have specific Latin American themes or characters, but playwrights must be of Latin American origin, as the goal with this festival is to develop Latin American voices in Canada. (Even if you do not speak any Spanish, if you identify yourself as Latin American, Hispanic, Latino, or a mix of these, we encourage your submission.)
5. Cast size should preferably be no more than for 5 actors.
6. All plays must be in English OR translated into English before the start of the festival. Please note that we provide translation services, if absolutely necessary.
7. Please include a one-page synopsis with the theme, plot, and length of play, character breakdowns and any doubling possibilities.
8. Please also include a title page, with playwright's name, name of play and contact information.
9. Submissions must be in hard copy only (emails will NOT be accepted), typed or word-processed, one-sided, loose page and minimum 11-point font on white paper. All pages must be numbered with the title of the play on each page.
10. Please do not submit original copies. If you wish to have your scripts returned, please include a SASE with the correct postage.
Please note: Playwrights whose scripts are selected are encouraged to attend the festival in October. A small honorarium will be provided to writers, however travel to the workshops & festival is the responsibility of the artist.
Where to Submit
Please send submissions by mail to:
Alameda Theatre Company
RE: De Colores Festival of New Works
845 St. Clair Ave. W.