Each workshop will consist of four parts. Part 1 examines What's in a Song; Part 2 is Music Publishing 101; Part 3 looks at Songwriting Revenue Streams; and Part 4 is The Music Meeting (Song Review) in which participants can play their demos for panelists to get instant feedback.
The workshops are co-sponsored by the Society of Composers, Authors and Music Publishers of Canada (SOCAN), Canadian Music Publishers Association (CMPA), and the Songwriters Association of Canada (SAC).
These workshops are free to attend, but everyone wishing to attend must pre-register for the event at http://www.radiostar.ca/songwriters-workshop/register. Registration is now open.
Ever wondered how to make your good song GREAT? Where to find the inspiration to put your thoughts into a well crafted song? From September 7 to October 2, 2011, Canadian Music Week, in association with Astral Radio, will be presenting a series of free local New Songwriters' Workshops that will provide the answers to these questions and more. Targeted to aspiring artists and songwriters, these clinics will take place in 11 participating cities across Canada, including:
- Wednesday, September 7 - Winnipeg, MB | The Park Theatre
- Thursday, September 8 - Regina, SK | Long & McQuade
- Thursday, September 15 - Saint John, NB | Saint John Arts Centre
- Saturday, September 17 - Halifax, NS | The Music Room
- Sunday, September 18 - St. John's, NL | Masonic Temple
- Thursday, September 22 - Edmonton, AB | Axe Music
- Saturday, September 24 - Calgary, AB | Axe Music
- Sunday, September 25 - Vancouver, BC | Tom Lee Music Hall
- Thursday, September 29 - Ottawa, ON | Mayfair Theatre
- Saturday, October 1 - Montreal, QC | Tanna Schulich Hall McGill
- Sunday, October 2 - Toronto, ON | Metalworks Institute
Songwriters will have the opportunity to learn from leading figures in the songwriting world - from seasoned platinum-selling songwriters Dan Hill ("Sometimes When We Touch", "Can't We Try"), Ralph Murphy ("Half The Way", "He Got You"), and Steve Wilkinson ("26 cents") to industry specialists from music publishing and radio programming - who will be on hand to lead the workshops, listen to demos and participate in a Q&A period. Attendees will learn first-hand how to master the art of writing a hit lyric, break into licensing for film and TV, as well as understand the role of SOCAN and revenue streams.
The New Songwriters' Workshops are a preamble to the launch of Canadian Radio Star and are part of Canadian Music Week's ongoing initiative to develop Canadian emerging artists. Admission to the workshops is free. Registration is limited to capacity and is open now to songwriters through the Canadian Radio Star website - www.radiostar.ca.
Additional details about the workshops, including times and confirmed presenters in each city can be accessed by visiting the Canadian Radio Star website - www.radiostar.ca - or by listening to the following presenting stations:
- Saint John, NB - 98.9 Big John FM Regina, SK - Big Dog 92.7 FM
- Halifax, NS - Q104 Winnipeg, MB - Hot 103
- St. John's, NL - Hits 99.1 FM Edmonton, AB - 100.3 The Bear
- Toronto, ON - Virgin Radio 99.9 FM Calgary, AB - CJAY 92
- Montreal, QC - Virgin Radio 96 FM Vancouver, BC - Virgin Radio 95.3 FM
- Ottawa, ON - Virgin Radio 106.9 FM