Women in Film and Television - Toronto (WIFT) has begun accepting applications for the 2011 Astral Media Mentorship. It is an opportunity for Canadian producers to learn with industry professionals and to attend the Banff World Media Festival.
Although offered by WIFT, the program is open to both men and women. Many people do not realize this but WIFT has accepted men for some time into their organization. You do not have to be a Toronto resident, but you must be available to participate in the sessions that take place in Toronto and in Banff. You also need not be a member of WIFT to apply, but if you are chosen for the mentorship you are expected to join.
The mentorship, however, is limited to those who are a visible minority, Aboriginal, or an individual with a disability. Their definition of visible minority is: those who are Black/African/Caribbean, South Asian, Asian/Pacific Islanders, Middle Eastern/West Asian and Latin American.
The deadline for applications is 5pm on April 11. The dates for the 2011 Astral Media Mentorship are May 30 – June 3 (Toronto) and June 12 – 15 (Banff Festival).
2011 Astral Media Mentorship
“I’ve walked away from this experience empowered with new insight into the industry and how it operates, pitching and marketing techniques, and contacts with some of the most exceptionally remarkable people that I’ve had the great fortune to meet.”
– Bobie Taffe, 2009 Astral Media Mentorship Recipient. Read more.
The Astral Media Mentorship is a national competitive program that gives one Canadian producer (male or female) who is a visible minority, Aboriginal, or an individual with a disability, the opportunity to develop their marketing strategy and hone their pitch and presentation skills for the 2011 Banff World Media Festival.
The winner receives a festival bursary (see Benefits) and a five-day pre-festival mentorship, including three intensive workshops with industry consultants and meetings with Astral Media executives. The 2011 Astral Media Mentorship takes place May 30 – June 3. The festival runs June 12 – 15.
2010 Astral Media Mentorship Winner: Mishann Lau
- Five days of pre-festival coaching with top industry executives in Toronto
- Complimentary festival registration
- Round-trip airfare
- On-site mentoring at the festival
- Guidance for post-festival follow-up
- Accommodation in Toronto for up to four days (three nights; excludes local residents) and accommodation in Banff for up to four days (three nights)
- Canadian Citizen, Permanent Resident, or Landed Immigrant
- Visible minority*, Aboriginal, or an individual with a disability
*visible minority is defined as: Black/African/Caribbean, South Asian, Asian/Pacific Islanders, Middle Eastern/West Asian and Latin American
- Independent producer (male or female)
- WIFT-T member in good standing (may join at time of application)
- Up to two production credits (drama or children’s programming)
- Minimum three years’ professional experience in the television industry
- First time attending the Banff World Television Festival as a producer
- Able to participate in mentorship sessions in Banff and Toronto
- Able to provide a final report within two weeks of the mentorship completion
Application Deadline | Monday April 11, 5PM EDT
Applications will be reviewed by a selection committee of WIFT-T staff and industry representatives. The winner will be announced in May.