Tuesday, March 25, 2014
Founded in 2004, Talent Lab is an intensive multiple-day artistic development programme that provides emerging talent with an unparalleled opportunity to learn from the world's best film artists. The 2014 Talent Lab runs from Wednesday, September 3, to Saturday, September 6.
Using the Festival's outstanding relationships with acclaimed filmmakers, Talent Lab leads participants in group discussions on a range of topics focused on the artistic side of filmmaking, sharpening the skills and confidence of a new generation of filmmakers.
Talent Lab Artistic Governors have included Olivier Assayas, Jennifer Baichwal, Danny Boyle, John Collee, Lee Daniels, Ava DuVernay, Miranda July, Don McKellar, Deepa Mehta, Michael Ondaatje, the late Bingham Ray, Jason Reitman, Gus Van Sant, Danis Tanovic, Stephen Woolley and Edgar Wright. Selected participants benefit from the guidance of the Governors and from the experience of Talent Lab guests. Guests have included directors Edward Burns, Jane Campion, Laurent Cantet, David Cronenberg, Alfonso Cuaron, Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne, Brian DePalma, Atom Egoyan, Stephen Frears, Terry Gilliam, Davis Guggenheim, Paul Haggis, Michael Hanecke, Neil Jordan, Nadine Labaki, Kim Longinotto, Guy Maddin, Steve McQueen, Fernando Meirelles, Mike Mills, Gaspar Noé, Sarah Polley, Nicolas Winding Refn, John Sayles, Jean-Marc Vallée, Frederick Wiseman and Michael Winterbottom; and producers Ted Hope, Aamir Khan, Robert Lantos, James Schamus, Tilda Swinton and Christine Vachon.
- This programme is open to emerging filmmakers with a minimum of either one feature film or two short film credits as director or screenwriter, and a maximum of 2 feature film credits as director or screenwriter.
- International applicants are welcome. Please note that all sessions in Talent Lab are held in English. Applicants need to speak and understand English fluently.
- Only one submission per applicant. Maximum of three total submissions to Talent Lab per applicant over the last 10 years, i.e.: if you have applied for Talent Lab unsuccessfully on three different occasions in the past decade, you are not eligible to apply for the 2014 Lab.
- Applicants must submit a continuous one-minute excerpt of one film project (short film, feature film; documentary, fiction or animation). Please note that we do not accept submissions of full-length films, demo reels, music videos and trailers. The clip must not exceed one (1) minute in length. If you have applied for Talent Lab in previous years, you have to re-apply with a different film clip.
- Applications need to be submitted by the applicants themselves, not by third parties (i.e. assistants, co-workers etc.).
II. Application Deadline & Selection Process
- Online Applications must be submitted by 5pm E.S.T. on Wednesday, May 28, 2014.
All applicants to Talent Lab will be notified about the status of their applications by July 30, 2014.
III. Information on One-Minute Clip to Be Submitted
NOTE: All applicants must include a Vimeo link to a one-minute clip from one of their films in the online application form. Please follow the below rules when you submit the link to your clip:
- The clip must not be longer than one minute.
- The link to the clip needs to be valid and active until July 30, 2014.
- Please ensure that the clip is in high resolution.
- Demo reels, trailers and music videos will not be accepted.
- Submissions of full-length films with time-codes to be played will not be considered by the jury.
IV. What To Expect
Talent Lab offers an incredible learning and professional development opportunity for filmmakers and screenwriters from around the world. In addition, Talent Lab will provide the following services for selected participants:
- All selected participants will receive a regular Industry Pass for the Toronto International Film Festival.
- To the extent the place of residence of any of the selected participants is beyond 50km from Toronto, Talent Lab will provide up to 5 nights of accommodation in a downtown hotel. NOTE: Talent Lab participants may be sharing hotel rooms, i.e. two participants per hotel room.
- Talent Lab will provide lunch on all four days of the Lab, from September 3 to 6. Participants will also be invited to two networking cocktails and one Talent Lab Dinner.
- IMPORTANT: Talent Lab does not cover travel costs for selected participants. Flights, train rides etc. are the responsibility of the participants.
For more information on Talent Lab, please contact us at email@example.com.