The list is made public to allow individuals and companies with similar devices or claims of prior art the opportunity to submit achievements for review.
The deadline to submit additional entries is Tuesday, August 27, at 11:59 p.m. PT.
The committee has selected the following technologies for further consideration:
Neutral density filters that remove infrared contamination.
- Prompted by the submission of the Infrared Neutral Density (IR ND) Filter Technology (Tiffen Co.)
Untethered HD video assist devices.
- Prompted by the submission of Meridian (Boxx TV Ltd.)
Software tools for accelerated simulation and rendering of smoke, fire and explosions.
- Prompted by the submission of Plume (ILM) and Flux (DreamWorks Animation)
Physically based shading and lighting techniques for digital rendering.
- Prompted by the submission Efficient Physically Inspired Shading (Pixar Animation Studios)
Software tools for integrated sculpting and painting of digital models.
- Prompted by the submission of Mudbox (Autodesk) and ZBrush (Pixologic)
Pre-computation techniques for visibility and lighting in rendering applications.
- Prompted by the submission of Weta’s Spherical Harmonics Lighting (Weta Digital)
Compositing systems using per-pixel “deep” depth information.
- Prompted by the submission of Deep Compositing (Weta Digital)
Software frameworks for integrated and extensible VFX and animation applications.
- Prompted by the submission of Zeno (ILM)
Integrated software tools for performance capture, visualization and manipulation.
- Prompted by the submission of MotionBuilder (Autodesk)
Non-explosive car flipping devices.
- Prompted by the submission of the Pneumatic Car Flipper (Fxperts, Inc.)
Helicopter-based camera motion-control platforms.
- Prompted by the submission of Flying-Cam 3.0 SARAH (Flying-Cam)
Digital workflow specifications for managing color.
- Prompted by the submission of ASC CDL (D-Cinema Consulting)
The 2013 Scientific and Technical Awards will be presented on Saturday, February 15, 2014.
Starting August 16 at 8 a.m. PT, claims of prior art or similar technology must be submitted on the Academy’s website at www.oscars.org/awards/scitech/apply.html. For further information, contact the Awards Administration Office at (310) 247-3000, ext. 1131, or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Academy Awards for outstanding film achievements of 2013 will be presented on Oscar® Sunday, March 2, 2014, at the Dolby Theatre® at Hollywood & Highland Center® and televised live on the ABC Television Network. The presentation also will be televised live in more than 225 countries and territories worldwide.