The award is named for the noted but controversial philanthropist who was president and CEO of General Motors in the early- to mid-20th century. Applicants need not reside in the U.S. but the project must be in the English language. The postmark deadline for applications is September 24, 2010.
2011 Sundance/Alfred P. Sloan Commissioning GrantINTRODUCTION
Established in 2005, the Sundance/Sloan Commissioning Grant is an annual cash award for a science or technology related narrative (fiction) feature-length project that is at an early stage such as full treatment or early screenplay draft. This grant will also include a small stipend for a science advisor to provide support through consultation and feedback, as well as the possibility of inclusion in the Feature Film Program's Screenwriters Lab.
The Grant will include the following:
- A cash grant of up to $20,000 to provide support during the writing period.
- A stipend of up to $5000 for a science advisor.
- Creative support during the writing process from a select group of creative advisors.
- The possibility of a fellowship to a Screenwriters Lab.
- Strategic and practical support from the Feature Film Program staff.
- Projects must have science or technology as a major theme or scientists as major characters. We cannot consider science fiction or projects that stray too far from a base scientific reality.
- Screenwriters with any level of experience, including numerous produced works may apply.
- Projects must be narrative (fiction) features and not documentary in nature.
- Projects must be live action.
- Projects must be in active development and can range from treatment stage to full draft.
- Projects must be English language. However, screenwriter does not need to reside in the U.S.
- Projects currently in development within the studio system are not eligible.
- Projects based on source material must have proper permissions and rights to use that material.
SUNDANCE INSTITUTE SUPPORTS SCIENCE IN FILM (PDF)
The selection process timeline for the 2011 Sundance/Sloan Commissioning Grant is as follows:
July 9, 2010 Application available online
September 24, 2010 Online application deadline and hard copy of materials postmark deadline
October 29, 2010 Notification of 2nd Round selections
January 14, 2011 Notification of Final selections
The application for the 2011 Sundance/Sloan Commissioning Grant is now available until September 24, 2010.
If you have any further questions, please e-mail Anne Lai at email@example.com.
Proceed to the Application Guidelines
Proceed to the Online Application